Last Updated (Wednesday, 12 September 2012 08:12)
Sleek, center-parted, low ponytails are the “in” look this summer. Nick Penna Jr., of SalonCapri in Newton & Dedham, MA gives his tips on how to create the style of the moment, as seen here on actress Malin Akerman.
1. While showering, Nick suggests using the new shampoo and conditioner from Kerastase, Cristalliste, to prep hair for this style.
2. After showering, part hair straight down the middle of your head. Nick recommends using a fine tooth comb to even out your part and keep it super straight. It should make a statement of its own.3. After combing out all of the knots in towel-dried hair, rub about a dime-size amount of the Cristalliste Lumiere Liquide on the bottom pieces of hair to prevent the appearance of split ends and smooth flyaways.
4. Use a paddle brush to blow-dry hair on medium heat. To achieve a smooth blow-dry, Nick recommends sectioning off your hair into three or four equal parts and concentrating your attention and heat on one section at a time before moving onto the next.
5. After hair is blow-dried straight, use a straightener to enhance the smoothness of your locks. Before straightening, Nick likes to use Shu Uemura Protective Thermal Spray to prevent heat damage.
6. Maintaining the straight center part you created in step #2, brush all of your hair firmly back into a ponytail about an inch above the neck and tie with an elastic band.
7. Take a 1 inch section of hair from the bottom of the ponytail, wrap around the elastic band, and bobby pin underneath the ponytail.
8. For a finishing touch, Nick likes using Shu Uemura Sheer Lacquer Finishing Spray to hold back the fly-away pieces throughout the day.
PHOTO: Actress Malin Akerman at the London Premiere of Rock of Ages